Good Shepherd Convent page 2
"They conquer who believe they can"
became essential and the foundation stone for the fine two-storey building, capable of accommodating 100 children was laid on 27th March 1884. The building was completed in January 1897.
The New Convent
By 1907 a suitable residence for the Sisters had become an urgent necessity, and the acquisition of an extra block of land enabled them to build a new Convent, the present one, which was begun in 1907 and completed in 1910.
Room for More
Kotahena was in its heyday at the turn of the century. Proximity to the commercial centre of the city caused an influx of people and by the 1930s it could boast of being the largest Catholic parish in the
Island. Extensive building programmes had to be launched to cater for the ever-increasing student population and in spite of the War, with all its attendant scarcities, the Sister spirit of faith kept them undaunted, and a three-storied collegiate school was completed on 17th July 1917.
Two additional blocks, providing accommodation for 1,500 pupils, were erected between 1937 and 1957. A staff room and canteen and more buildings were constructed (some were demolished to make room for others).
In March 1985 a four-storey building which brought the Primary Department into one self-contained unit was opened. Can one ever write ‘finished’ to school building programmes? All this took place
during the 'dark decades' of the 1960's to the 1980s, which was a period of struggle for survival, when both Sisters and staff had to undergo many sacrifices.
However the School was blessed with a loyal tutorial staff, many of whom were past pupils and they rallied round their Alma Mater. They had not only to teach, but also collect monies euphemistically called 'donations' to maintain the School.
Thus the original single storey building which the pioneer missionary Sisters occupied all those years ago has been replaced by buildings which now provide accommodation for 2,759 pupils and collegiate sections of the school and the staff of 150. Opportunities and incentives are provided through